PREDECZ


Przedecz Town Hall
​
Przdecz, Poland
June 7, 2017
Halina Ziecik, Bacha Ganczyk, Marek Szczepanski
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
Translated meet up with Halinka Ziecik
Buczksinski up to 1884, then it changed to Buks.
Ski= typical polish. Occupation: Russian.
All January rising 1863 Russian vs polish. Poles against Russian. So, there was repression against Poles by Russians because of the uprising. So, people wanted to change their names to be more Russian, less Polish, to get along better/be treated better. Przedecz changed to a village from a city. Different rights, different duties.
Russia annexation.
18th century, 3 countries in Poland. Russian, Germany, Austria. Took Polish land. Poland disappeared. This part of Poland was taken by Russia. Jan 1863 Polish uprising to get land back. Jews tried to manage within Russian rules. Many Jews started to change their name and make them shorter. Buksinski, became Buks, and less Polish. They got rid of the “ski” to be less Polish, more Russian to get along better with the Russians. Security, etc.
She is the historian of the city/Przedecz; Jonska/Helena. She started doing research on the Catholic church. She was invited by the priest. She started looking through the files in the Church, and she found that in April 1942, the Germans brought all the Jews to the church and they stayed for 3 days and 3 nights. After that they would go to Chelmno.
She began talking to the priest, and was terrified/upset that, “dear lord, the priest said, and it’s incredible, I could not believe what he said, “the Jews insult the home of the Lord”, she was angry, upset. Then, she started researching the history of Przedecz Jews.
The priest said they insulted the lord, they had to urinate, and deficate. The priest they didn’t see the problem that the people were prisoners in the church. He was more upset that the Jews were “dirtying” the church. For the interpreter he was also upset and said it was stupid.
Helena: Jesus was a Jew. It’s a paradox. We are all brothers. Fingerprints on the church. She knows about 100 years Polish records in town hall, 100+ in Konin. In Wlocewek: address of Przedecz. It’s also online.
She also found records from Wlocowek.
Residence is in family name, kids, births, army service, etc. (Russian). Poland disappeared. There are signatures. 88 was former house of Buks—Rynek. Not street name. 88 in Przedecz that’s the entire address.
Which buks: Persia Buksinski, Abram-Israel Buksinski, 25sep2015 born. Parents: Samuel and Chaya Cieplinski. Wife: Przedecz, Klodawask. 11feb1915-death. His wife, przedcz born, avram chaim Korek, died 1937.
They came to Przedecz in 1876, probably. Wife Fayga. Jochavet, Nachman, Szmuel, Blima, Shimon-Aron, Moshe, David, army-1911. Arja, born married at 27. She was 22, Polchebnik. Daughter of Joseph and ? of Kolo. Icek, September July, January. He was in police in Sleslin.
Brother: Shimon-Aron, wife Gitel. Daughter of David and Mindel Herczberg from Przedcz. Lived in Babiak.
Jacov son of Abram. Death 1910.
Arje Buks, Shimon brother, butchers. They lived wooden house (? street name) #2.
Helena asked about the anniversary of the church, in 2007. The priest gave her the files. She started reading. She asked about the Jews. The priest gave her the answer that got her upset, and she started researching the Jewish history.
The guy from the secret service was tall, over 6’ tall. Rappaport. Anna from Australia.
Older man in Przedecz. She spoke with a lot of older people from Przedecz. In 1939, she ran to the Russian border. In September, 1939 Germans invaded, on the 17th. There was border between Poland and Russia- not Poland. Przedecz became Russian. The Buks went toward Russian border. The Nazi’s invaded 17sep1939. Until the end of October 1939, it was ruled by German army. The Jews were beaten, tortured, killed. It was the worst time for Jews. The caught all the Jews, brought them to this square (outside the coffee shop we were at).
Bachna took us to a brick building where Jews were held. Was it the church? The brick mill was abandoned. They took the Jews to take their possessions. The mill was too small, so they used the church as well. They took their money, belongings, gold. Then they took them all to Chelmno.
​
​
​
​
The Rabbi, Zimmerman, they had to carry wooden bars and run around the square. Yizkor book, it is described. Some Jews told the Rabbi, take the wooden bar and replace with the rabbi. Somebody volunteered so the rabbi would not have to do that. The man insulted the Nazi by asking this. He was beaten and thrown out from the square.
They shaved the rabbi beard. There was water pump and shaved the Jewish mens’ beards. The rabbi disappeared. He was humiliated. His daughter found him and brought him home. There were stones in the square. The women had to clean between the stones, the weeds/grass. They burned the synagogue. People who saw it, reacted different ways. One Pole tried to stop fire. He was beaten. He was afraid more buildings would catch fire. He was selfish, he wasn’t trying to stop the fire out of kindness, he was probably a neighbor and didn’t want his own house to catch fire. The other Poles beat that man.
The Jews wanted to stop the fire, but Rabbi said “no”. He tried to explain that the Torah will burn to the heaven, and the fire will not damage it. Like angels and souls will go to heaven. It doesn’t matter about the paper. Rabbi signed paper that the Jews burned the synagogue themselves; not the Poles/Germans. The neighbors of the synagogue, there were leaks. The neighbors took valuables from the synagogue, b/c they heard it would be burned.
There were rumors that the stuff ( valuable)is hidden in the Przedecz lake. The Nazi’s gave authority to the major in the Polish army, in the fall of 1939. They came from deep Germany to Przedecz, and they began ruling the town. Not an army person, but civil. The major of the German army from the Third Reich was there to begin.
​
​
Koninstein, the Third Reich was where the major came from. Nunenberg- the name of Przedecz was changed.
Civil major of Przedecz, came in 1939. Nazi’s allowed to keep the Jewish community they could stay, work. They could do what they usually did, they could not leave. This guy was the highest authority of the Jewish community. The new council of Jews was elected (Judenracht?).
8 members of Jewish council. Jaklinski seller of seeds (corn, wheat, etc.) he was a rich farmer. Buks #2, neighbor of Jaklinski was #4. Every day they would take a suitcase to town hall, with the council. They had to go to the commissioner, every day, how many Jews, who was born who died. He had to take gold, every day. He bought the life of one Jewish life.
Council and David took a group of Jews, took them to the mill, and took the rest of their gold, the Jews had to take the money from them to save others lives. There was a zone free of Jewish people. From town center to the lake- no Jews allowed. But, rest of city there were Jews. Jonska, knows, because the records of the town hall. The area in front of the castle.
Jewish people during the war: workshops- crafts, tailor, seamstress for German uniforms, shoe makers, famous shop and survived the war—furrier, clean the streets, shovel snow, construction. Judenracht, Jaklinski, and the rest of council, prepare jobs for all the Jews. Jaklinski collarborate with German to know what they can and can’t do.
In December 1940, David Jaklinski, wrote to US fund for help. In branch of “Jewish American Fund”, branch of Ber sheba.
Jonska has a letter. It was at the Jewish museum of history. 776 are in Przedecz in December 1940. 845 in the beginning. In the beginning of 1941, the Germans said all Jews need to go back to where they were born. Then the number was 900. The Germans are very precise, and accounted for, so they probably did it for that reason, for their records.
The Jews went to the Ghetto. Central ghetto was in Lodz, and they were in charge of all the small neighboring towns, including Przedecz. From Lodz ghetto, they sent needs for Jewish workers for all this area. They send workers and send them to Poznan, for example.
In the Yizkor book, there were ambushes. They needed 100 women, for example, they took them to the church. Some tried to run away, fight, hide. They had fake ID’s. Some would do anything to not go to church to go away.
Sara Goldman, etc, memoir, she witnessed this. She was taken to farm in Germany. The polish were in charge of the Jews. She could write letters in German to Przedecz. The family knew the Germans would read, so they used code to her family! She came back to Przedecz 2x. It was permitted by Nazi’s. Also, in klodawa this happened.
The last letter from her mother, said “come back very soon, b/c they want to say good-bye. They came just before April 21, 1942. She saw terrible moods of people. All Jews were collected in another square- smaller. Squeezed into this small square. Before April 21, 1942. Her mother was happy to see her. At 4am, her uncle the baker, Goldman, came to her, and he told her that military police but a cord around the city, and search the housing/building to collect Jews. Sara Goldman’s mother told her to run, she had some kind of paper she could be her for short time. If she was still her, they’d round her up, too. Mother, run away. She went to town hall, the man said go back home.
She kept running, and went to David Jaklinski. 10 ? Street (doesn’t exist now). She went there. Some Jews were there. They planned to run away. Then the Poles came, and said, “Jews, do you want protection of God”. Then he told Germans the Jews were there, and they took them. Sara Goldman came to church, and she found her whole family. The whole story is in the Yizkor book.
She stayed with her family. There were 14 German military men. They beat the Jews. The mother told her to go to the German, show them the papers, so she could go back to German. Soldier said, Not impossible, but I have to ask leader. The leader said yes, you can go. Only you, not your family. She stayed with her mother and brother until they took them away, from the church. She estimated 150-200 people.
200 people were all the Jews left. Some came from Lodz ghetto. Some worked in camps. Most were women and kids, sick people. 24apr1942, trucks came to get the Jews. They forced people to get in. They took them to Chelmno. Each driver had a list of people they were responsible to take. Sara Goldman saw this picture, beaten. Some people took pillows, blankets, etc. they had to leave it there. Poles on the street, sold it. There were orders no Poles could watch.
Goldman saw her mother in the truck and squeezed in the truck by soldiers. Saw school friends. When church was empty, she lost her mind, she was in shock, Polish said “what are you doing here, you are Jew it’s too dangerous” The German said, come with me, you are not allowed to walk here. She gave him the paper. He let her go.
The German hate all nations, but they let her go b/c the paper was from German. This is the only person who went in the church and came out. Like a miracle, incredible.
Sara Goldman, she wrote in Yiddish. Gary Makatoff. She asked Gary to translate to Polish. It’s probably in English too. She’s connected in Przedecz. Gary want to make a movie about Przedecz ghetto. Gary’s family is from Przedecz.
Gary doesn’t know Hebrew. He asked rabbi in Israel to translate from Yiddish to Polish. Is Gary working on film now!
April 21, (24th) 1942, last transportation to Chelmno from Przedecz. That was the last Jews in Przedecz. All Jewish belongings collected and sent to warehouse in Dombrowa. People who left here for maintenance were killed. She knows the place they were killed. Half mile from here. Around 12-15 people. They were forced to dig a grave, then get into it, and were killed. Done by Germans, local Germans, not Third Reich.
David Jaklinski, tragedy. Commissioner wrote a letter to authority in wolkewicz, that city is free of Jews. He asked for money Jews earned in other camps. When the person went to work, it went back to the city the person was from. Commissioner was greedy.
Rumors were the commissioner wasn’t so bad. He was. Nazi’s greedy of money. He knew what to do b/c he was in third reich. There are documents about his life. Typical German, everything in order.
Is there a list of people that were sent from Przedecz/Klodawa to Chelmno. List of transportation. But, not Chelmno. The bigger ones, no. Also, they had a lot of time to destroy records. They destroyed everything at Chelmno. The history of Prezedecz they have a lot of stories, information. The german documents came from Przedecz. The documented all people over 14 years old.
Everything was very organized. Everybody was stamped with their physical condition. A, B, C, D….. plus Star of David. Different marks, yellow triangle, 15 cm, back was a triangle. Some Jews hid. Some neighbors helped.


Przedecz June 7, 2017: left to right: shop keeper, Halina Ziecik [Przdecz historian], Judy Muratore, Marek Szczepanski [translator].

Judy and Marek Szcezpanski- translating Halina's history of Przedecz and the BUKS family.



PRZEDECZ IS ONE OF THE NEIGHBORING TOWNS OF KLODAWA. ACCORDING TO MY FAMILY, AND THE INTERVIEWEES OF KLODAWA, THERE WAS MUCH INTERACTION BETWEEN THE TWO TOWNS.
THE FAMILY NAME PRZEDECKI CAME FROM PRZEDECZ, AS MY ANCESTORS [THE BUKS FAMILY] ORIGINALLY SETTLED HERE FROM BABIAK, GERMANY/POLAND. IN ADDITION THERE WAS TRADE BETWEEN THE TWO TOWNS, MARRIAGES, ETC.
​
​
THE PARAGRAPH BELOW WAS TAKEN FROM RABBI CHAIM SIMONS:
Przedecz is today situated west of Central Poland midway between Chodecz and Klodawa. It is about 75 kms north-west of Lodz, 150 kms west of Warsaw and 130 kms east of Posen. Its co-ordinates on the map are: latitude - 520 20’ N., longitude - 180 54’ E. The south west side of Przedecz borders on Lake Przedecz.
In Yiddish the city was known as Pshaytsh.
The earliest mention of Przedecz is in the 12th century and at that period it was in the possession of Archbishops. In the second half of the 14th century the king purchased Przedecz and the surrounding lands from the Archbishops. About that period it was a transit station for traders travelling from south to north and from east to west and was a centre for trade for the surrounding farms.
Przedecz was granted the right to be known as a city before the end of the 14th century. Although in today’s usage, Przedecz would be regarded as a “village”, we shall use its official status and refer to it as a “city”.
During the period when Przedecz was in the possession of the Archbishops, Jews were forbidden to live there and the beginning of Jewish settlement seems to have begun towards the end of the 14th century. The Jewish cemetery is about 600 years old.
In 1538, there was a big fire in Przedecz and most of the houses were destroyed. Ten years later, the king gave the right to produce and market liqueurs without paying taxes and to have a market day each week.
In the middle of the 17th century, during the war with the Swedes, the city was destroyed and only 40 houses remained. The financial situation of Przedecz flourished at the beginning of the 18th century when the king gave permission to have two market days each week and a fair six times a year.
In a census taken in 1793 the population consisted of 355 persons, 139 of whom were Jews. By 1827 it had grown to 1935 persons, 346 of whom were Jews. During the following 30 years the total population in Przedecz increased by only 20, whereas the Jewish population increased to 606. In other words, during these 30 years the percentage of Jews in this city radically increased. This occurred because Jews from the neighbouring villages moved to Przedecz. By 1921, the total population had increased to 3040, of whom 840 were Jews.
Przedecz had only a few streets, but it had all the elements of a Jewish Community: Synagogue, Bet Hamedrash, Mikva, Jewish Schools, Yeshivah, Jewish Library, Jewish Cemetery, Eruv, welfare and cultural organisations. Przedecz had its own City Rabbi and it also had its own Shochet and Mohel. At first the Shechitah of animals took place in the courtyard of each butcher and the Shechitah of fowl in the courtyard of the Shochet, However, before the Second World War, a large abattoir was built under the auspices of the Local Council. In this new abattoir, the sanitary conditions were better and there was also a regular veterinary inspection by the Polish authorities.
Many of the Jews were artisans - tailors, hatmakers, cobblers etc. They usually worked from their homes assisted by their children and other employees, and would then travel from city to city to sell their wares, in general, to the non-Jews. Some of the Jews were small traders.
Every place had its market day and for Przedecz it was Monday. On Mondays the non-Jews would come from the farms in the area and sell butter, eggs and chickens to the Jews and in turn these non-Jews would buy products such as salt, sugar and tobacco from the grocery shops and clothes, shoes, hats etc. from the market. From morning to evening on Mondays, the market was crowded with people.
Apart from the big Synagogue of Przedecz, there was a “Chevrat Tehillim”. This “Chevrat Tehillim” served as a Synagogue for the artisans of the city. Services were also held in the Bet Hamedrash. The Bet Hamedrash had its own library and on Fridays two boys aged 13-14 went around the houses collecting money to buy new books and to pay for the rebinding of the old ones.
The Mikvah was situated very near to the lake and quite near to the “Chevrat Tehillim”. The city also had its own Eruv. which enabled the Jewish residents to carry in the streets on Shabbat. On occasions when this Eruv was broken, and this happened quite often, the children would carry the Siddurim and Tallitot to the Synagogue and would also bring the Cholent to the houses from the bakery.
The religious affairs of the community were controlled by a Committee (Parnasai Ha’ir). Every year members of the Community would meet in the Bet Hamedrash and elect 8 members to this Committee. The function of this Committee was to fix the salary of the Rabbi and other religious officials, the price for Shechitah, the charge for the Mikvah, etc. A tax was levied on the families in order to pay for these services.
In Przedecz, there was a State Elementary School. There was no High School and thus pupils who wished to study in a High School had to go to neighbouring cities. The Elementary School was attended by both Jewish and non-Jewish children of the city. The usual secular subjects taught in schools were taught here. At first it was situated in the same building as the Town-Hall, the school being upstairs and the Town-Hall downstairs, but later a new large building was built for the school in Stoldona Street. For their religious instruction there was a “Bet Sefer Ivri”, which would meet after regular school hours. Subjects such as Tenach (Bible) and Dinim (Jewish Law) were taught in this “Bet Sefer Ivri”. In the religious education of the children, particularly of the boys, a love for Eretz-Israel was prominent. In addition there was a “Bet Ya’acov” school for the more religious girls, although in fact the overwhelming number of Jews in Przedecz were observant In the courtyard of the Bet Hamedrash there was another more religiously orientated school. There was also a Yeshivah, whose Principal was Rabbi Yoseph Alexander Zemelman, the Rabbi of Przedecz. For those who wanted to learn a trade such as tailoring, hatmaking or cobblering, there were evening classes.
The city had a Jewish Library but it was more than just a library. It functioned as a cultural centre. People would meet there in the evenings and read books, dance, listen to lectures, have theatre performances, etc. The more religiously observant, instead of going to the Jewish Library would use the Agudah or the Mizrachi facilities instead.
There were also welfare organisations in Przedecz. A “Bikur Cholim” society would look after the poor sick. There was also a “Benevolent Fund” which would give loans without interest to needy Jews and this saved them from starvation.
In 1926, with the assistance of the “Joint” a Jewish Bank was set up in Przedecz. The main purpose of this Bank was the granting of loans. These loans were made according to usual banking procedures and required two guarantors who were acceptable to the Bank. This Bank closed in 1936 as a result of the difficult financial situation of the Jews at that period.
During the 20th century, various Zionist groups were established in Przedecz, including branches of the General Zionists, Poale Zion Yemin, Hashomer Hazair, the Mizrachi and the Revisionists. Money was collected in Przedecz for the J.N.F. There were also a few Bundists In 1937 there were seventy people who had voting rights for delegates to the 20th Zionist Congress held in Zurich that year, of whom all but three utilised their rights. The establishment of these groups caused friction between those of the right and those of the left. As a result those of the left stopped coming to the Jewish Library. For the younger people there was the Young Mizrachi and Betar. The programmes of these youth groups included activities on Shabbat afternoons.
Agudat Yisrael also had a branch in Przedecz, most of its members being Gerer Hassidim. One of the people active in this branch was the Rabbi of Przedecz, Rabbi Zemelman.
There was even “Hachsharah” (preparing people for Aliyah to Eretz-Israel).in Przedecz. This group had some fields in which young people planted and grew vegetables which they then sold in Przedecz.
The houses in Przedecz were mostly just one story high. Some were owned by the Jewish residents and others were rented from non-Jews. There was no running water in the houses. In the centre of Przedecz was a pump. Electricity was only installed in 1928 - until then people used gas lights. There were very few telephones in Przedecz and radio was a luxury found in very few houses.
In September 1939, Germany entered Poland and the Second World War began. A few weeks later on the night of the Festival of Shemini Atzeret, 4 October 1939, the Germans set fire to the Przedecz Synagogue. On the day after the Festival, the Germans summoned the Rabbi of the City together with some of the leaders of the Community and they were forced to sign a statement that the Jews themselves had burnt down the Synagogue and in addition they had to pay a fine for so doing!
The Germans changed the name of the city to Moosburg.
In 1940 there were 769 Jews in Przedecz and nearly half of them were sent to forced labour camps. The majority of them died there from hunger and disease. The Germans set up a ghetto in Przedecz which was situated in the Old Market. In early 1942, the Germans packed the remaining Jews into the local church, where they were left with no food or water for three days. Many of them died from lack of air. On 24 April 1942 - 7 Iyar 5702, the remaining Jews were sent to the Chelmno extermination camp and the Jewish community of Przedecz was thus finally liquidated. The 7 Iyar has become the Memorial Day for this Community.
The Rabbi of Przedecz managed to escape to Warsaw, where he took an active part in the Warsaw Ghetto uprising.
In the mid-1960s, some former residents of Przedecz went to revisit the place. Where the Synagogue had formerly stood, the Poles were building houses. All that remained in what had been the Jewish cemetery was a solitary tree. All the tombstones had disappeared. The Beth Hamedrash and the adjoining house of the Rabbi had been demolished.
In March 1998, my eldest daughter Ayelet went on a “Holocaust Study Trip” to Poland. On 30 March she made a brief trip to Przedecz, where she visited the site of the Jewish cemetery. There she saw that the Buks family, who originated from Przedecz had erected a memorial stone in the cemetery. The inscription reads, “We honor the blessed memory of our Jewish ancestors from the town of Przedecz lovingly remembered by the Buks family - 1993.” She lit a candle by this memorial stone. The Polish authorities have planted a forest over the site of the cemetery, presumably to preserve and beautify the area.
In addition to photographing the cemetery, she photographed the houses which had been built over the site of the former Synagogue. Lack of time prevented her from viewing the tombstones which it was reported had been put in the museum/conservation laboratory and in the garden by the Municipality Office. I now understand that these tombstones have disappeared.
Today there are no Jews in Przedecz, nor even signs of a former Jewish community. However, a number of Przedecz survivors from the Holocaust rebuilt their lives in Eretz Israel, where today they and their descendants live.
Appendix
From the AJGS Cemetery Project by the AJGS and Arline Sachs 1996-7
( taken from the Internet)
PRZEDECZ
US Comm. no. POCE00697
Przedecz is located in the voiev. of Konin, about 10 km from Klodawa. The Jewish cemetery is located on Rybacka Street. The present town population is 1,000 - 5,000; currently there are no Jews living there.
The town official in Przedecz is Burmistrz [Mayor] Remigiusz Zasada, Urzad Miasta [City Council], Plac Wolnosa 1, Przedecz, tel. 38 467. The name of the regional authority responsible for this site is Irena Sobierajska, PS02. Another institution that may have interest in this site is Jan Stelmasiak, Plac sw. Wawrzynca 6, Przedecz.
The date of the earliest known Jewish community in Przedecz was in the 14th Century. The Jewish population in 1938/39 was 1000 people, about 22.3% of the total town. The Jewish cemetery was used by Orthodox Jews, and the date of the last known Jewish burial was 1939.
The cemetery is located in a suburban area on flat land; it is isolated and there is no sign or marker. It is surrounded by no wall or fence (although there was a wooden fence before the war) and has no gate. It can be reached by turning directly off a public road, and access is open to all.
The size of the cemetery before W.W.II was around 0.5 hectares; it is the same size now. There are no tombstones visible. Some of the tombstones removed from the cemetery are in a museum/conservation laboratory (5 pieces), and some are in the garden by the Municipality Office (3 pieces). Tombstones are datable from the 20th Century, and are inscribed in Hebrew. They are made of sandstone and are finely smoothed and inscribed stones. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces.
The cemetery is currently owned by the municipality, anced is used for recreational purposes - a forest was planted from 1960-1965. The properties adjacent to it are residential - there is a house at the synagogueþs site (the pre-burial house?). The cemetery is occasionally visited by private Jewish visitors and local residents.
The cemetery was vandalized during W.W.II. There is now no maintenance done There are slight security, weather erosion, pollution, vegetation and vandalism threats facing this cemetery. There is also a slight threat from an incompatible nearby development.
This survey was completed by Lucja Pawlicka-Nowak, 62510 Vonin, ul ????? 15/76, tel. 434356, (see Konin) who visited the site on September 10, 1992. Literature and interviews were used to complete the survey - Jan Stelmasiak of Przedecz was interviewed on September 10, 1992 at the cemetery site. The questionnaire was completed on September 10, 1992 by Lucja Pawlicka-Nowak.